Data analyzed by the National Girls Collaborative Project shows Madison ranking among the top American cities in women and STEM-specific workplace metrics, including:
- No. 7 among Midwestern U.S. cities, followed by Milwaukee at No. 8;
- Lowest women’s unemployment rate in the region (2 percent);
- Highest rate of working women with health care coverage — 74 percent have access to insurance through their employer;
- Madison’s STEM sector encompasses 13 percent of all local jobs, placing the city first for this metric as well. Women occupy 31 percent of STEM jobs; and
- Madison also earned points for women’s representation in management, with 48 percent of local management jobs held by women.